Monday, July 25, 2011

Joy of Kids, Ecology in Tarija and Being a mis-fit

As I’ve mentioned before, what I “do” as mission doesn’t always have clear definitions and I think my living situation is one of those grey areas, but one I’m so grateful for. At the Franciscan social center where I have an apartment, there also live anywhere between 7 to 18 kids recovering from burns. They are not orphans, but their needs are greater than their parents can provide for, so they get help for whatever time necessary while staying at the social center, near physical therapy and doctors all the time.

I try to keep clear boundaries with them, which allows for private time but also hanging out fun time together. One night a friend and I put on a movie night in my apartment, which is often what a Spaniard who also lives in the center does for the kids, but he was out of town so I stepped in. I made popcorn on the stove and we had juice and cookies too. The kids loved it and are anxiously awaiting the next one, but in the mean time we play cards or games or dance to music.

 
I’m someone who loves hugs and also being around kids, so I really appreciate their presence and am grateful to have them as neighbors (well, most of the time…haha).

 

Through my involvement with Franciscans International, I was invited to give my second eco-theological retreat, this time in Tarija at the beginning of June.

 
The idea is to talk about what is the reality of the world we’re living in, in respect to the environment, ecosystems, plants, animals, water, people etc. and how our interdependence all being part of creation calls us to pay attention to how our actions or in-actions are contributing to or lessening the goodness of all. We talked about the science and reality of the environmental situation on an international level and also in Bolivia and locally in Tarija. Christianity is in the good company of many other major faith traditions that recognize divinity or God’s presence all around us and this recognition then calls us to act accordingly, with respect and care.

 
I was surprised to find that the majority of the group were high-school students, but a lot of them really impressed me in their interest and conviction to take action in their lives and not let what they learned stay only in words. It was quite touching to hear their reflections and appreciation for our time together. I was very humbled.

 
At their own request we had a competition to see which group could pick up the most trash in an allotted time in the plaza of the small town we were staying in. I really enjoyed both the young people on the retreat and the adults who helped organize it, they were so hospitable and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and taste the local foods and drink I wanted to try before leaving the area. It was a great experience, and I have a suspicion that more invitations to give the retreat are coming, as other members of national group of Justice and Peace seemed interested at the last meeting we had.

 

 
On the note of traveling, recently I got the opportunity to return home to Virginia, where a lot of my family and many friends are. I didn’t think I would get to go back during these 3 years so it was a much appreciated visit. I got to spend time with some of my favorite people and while it helped energize me, I also felt a wave of sadness upon leaving them again. It’s such a funny place to be, because I want to be here in Bolivia, finally having built meaningful relationships and having become involved in such great initiatives and groups. Yet, at the same time my heart is divided because I want to be with people whose lives are in the United States as well.

I’m reminded of something a Society of African Missions priest told us in our FMS training, that people in mission are forever mis-fits, never really feeling totally whole or at-place anywhere. I even felt some of that after spending 6 months in Germany while I was in college, and now it’s stronger. While saying good-bye to my immediate family in the airport (all 5 of them were there, you all are the best!) they reminded me that I’m going back to people whom I know and love, not to the complete unknown, which is how it was when I left 1 ½ years ago. So true. To combat my sadness, I thought of the dear friends I’ve made, the people I work with, and the kids recovering from burns who live with me at the Franciscan social center. I couldn’t wait to run into their open arms, waiting to hug me and then ask where was the chocolate I said I'd bring them.

 
To see more pictures, please go to: https://picasaweb.google.com/nora.pfeiffer/July24Blog?authkey=Gv1sRgCL7EztXE8Lal6wE#

5 Things I’m thankful for today: seeing dear friends I love very much and haven’t seen in a while; laughing really hard because of funny things my cousins’ kids say and do that I got to be present for!; spontaneous dance parties with my sisters; spending a week at the beach with lots of wonderful cousins, aunts, uncles, my immediate family and my grandpa; the people I’ve met in Bolivia who have let me in to their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment